It’s that time of year when we become obsessed with pumpkin – pumpkin lattes, pumpkin smoothies, pumpkin pancakes. And why not? Pumpkin is both savory and sweet making it the perfect addition for many recipes. Pumpkin is nutritious, low in calories, and supports a healthy weight.
Five reasons to be Pumpkin Obsessed:
- The number one reason to eat pumpkin is to add fiber to your diet. Fiber will keep digestion running smoothly and naturally detoxifies the body.
- The high Vitamin A content in pumpkin protects our eyes from degeneration and cataracts.
- Pumpkin is very heart healthy because of its high potassium content which helps to prevent the onset of coronary heart disease and high blood pressure.
- Rich in beta-carotene, pumpkin supports healthy skin and aging.
- Pumpkin seeds are rich in fatty acids which have been linked to improved brain function.
These delicious pumpkin muffins are one of my favorite treats. In fact, I bake them year-round – not just during pumpkin season. Sometimes I’ll add chocolate chips, pecans, or pumpkin seeds – all variations are delicious. And, they freeze well.
These muffins are great on their own, with a pat of butter, or spread with almond butter. Enjoy!
Lorraine Matthews-Antosiewicz, MS, RD
Traditional weight loss diets do not work because they are not sustainable and potentially unhealthy. Want to learn how to achieve your personal best weight, and stay there for good? Let’s talk. Give me a call @ 732-494-1149.